“The story of Esther is familiar to us. You have quite likely heard more than one talk about her, sat in more that one class exploring the book named for her. If it’s been a while, you might want to reread it, maybe in a translation other than your usual. Read it as a movie script and supply the visual in your mind’s eye. You won’t find a more dramatic story anywhere.”
- The accounts we read in the Bible are history and are supposed to teach us something, and we are supposed to see ourselves in them.
- There are numerous spiritual lessons to be gained from the book of Esther
- Just like us, Esther and Mordecai lived in an era with no miracles, no inspired prophets giving direction.
- Just like us, they had to trust that God’s providence was nevertheless active. > Do we have enough trust in God’s providence?
- Crisis comes into every life. => We need to think about what action is available to us.